2010 SPICE Cup with innovative rules
The 2010 SPICE Spring Invitational will take place in March (13-19) at the beautiful campus of Texas Tech University in Lubbock, TX. It is a round robin event with ELO average close to 2500. One of the top female US players, IM Irina Krush, will be looking for her second GM norm while IM Davorin Kuljasevic and IM Gergely Antal will be looking for their final norms and GM titles.
GM norm is expected to be 6 points (out of 9 games) and IM norm is expected to be 4 points (out of 9 games).
- IM Davorin Kuljasevic (CRO) 2585 USCF – 2552 FIDE (2 GM norms)
- IM Gabor Papp (HUN) 2578 USCF – 2542 FIDE (GM norm)
- GM Julio Becerra (USA) 2610 USCF – 2538 FIDE (2-time participant of the SPICE Cup)
- GM Ben Finegold (USA) 2616 USCF – 2534 FIDE (earned GM title at the 2009 SPICE Cup B group)
- IM Gergely Antal (HUN) 2557 USCF – 2511 FIDE (2 GM norms)
- GM Jesse Kraai (USA) 2550 USCF – 2508 FIDE
- IM Dean Ippolito (USA) 2534 USCF – 2466 FIDE (Previous participant of the SPICE Cup)
- IM Irina Krush (USA) 2492 USCF – 2461 FIDE (GM norm – previous participant of the SPICE Cup)
- FM Eric Hansen (CAN) 2426 USCF – 2415 FIDE
- FM Darwin Yang (USA) 2398 USCF – 2378 FIDE (Youngest ever participant of a SPICE Invitational)
SPICE Cup 2010 with innovative rules
The 2010 SPICE Cup will take place around the middle of November 2010. To make the event a lot more exciting, the SPICE Cup committee has unanimously voted to adapt the following new rules for the A group:
- No draw offer allowed prior to move 30
- A win = 3 points, a draw = 1 point, and loss = 0 point
GM Wesley So (Philippines) 2665
GM Georg Meier (Germany) 2663
GM Jon Ludvig Hammer (Norway) 2617
GM Ray Robson (USA) 2559
GM Eugene Perelshteyn (USA) 2553 (winner of SPICE Cup B group)
The format of the A group will once again be a 6-player double round robin, the final spot will be given to a big star.